Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Bonaroo Recap

Asheville 1 test

Bonaroo was so crazy that I really didn’t take any pictures. So I recreated one of my Bonaroo outfits to show you guys! Weirdly enough, as soon as I put on this dress I saw another girl in the campsite wearing it. Bonaroo was so amazing, we saw so many performances. My favorites were Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, She and Him, The Gossip, The Flaming Lips, and Jay-Z. And…I served salad to The Flaming Lips! WHAT?!?

My life has pretty much been all about festivals for the past two weeks, so I decided to write a little survival guide of festival must haves for those of you who are heading out to have some hot music filled days this summer!

Asheville 3

Festival Must Haves

For your bag:

1. Sunscreen: This is kind of a no brainer, but I was surprised by how many people were wandering around with seriously bad sunburns. One bad sunburn can ruin your whole weekend people! Nobody wants to be the girl (or guy) who has to wander around in a long sleeve shirt and heavy hat in 100 degree heat!
2. Wet Ones: You will come in contact with Port-a-potties, spilled beverages, other people’s sweat, random gross fluids, and mud. Wet-Ones (I like the ones in individual packets because you can just shove them in your purse) or any baby wipes are great for at least attempting to clean yourself. Also good for removing makeup when you wake up at 5 in the morning and realize you forgot to take your eyeliner off because it has melted all over your cheek.
3. Head Scarf: Good for preventing a sunburned scalp, holding back unwashed hair, wiping away sweat, you name it.
4. Sarong: So useful! I bring mine along to use as a blanket to sit on but it is also good for using as a wardrobe staple in a pinch: ie when you leave your tent wearing just your bikini bottoms and realize you made a seriously poor clothing choice. Also good for dousing in water and draping over your head when the vicious begins shining in your direction.
5. Spray Mister: Essential. If I had not had mine during She and Him I probably would have expired from the heat and missed out on seeing Zooey so close up I could practically touch her. This saved my life, especially in the mornings when I had turned into a sweaty sausage from my oven of a tent. Also, totally reminds me of my 90’s childhood. Anyone remember toting around a white Squeeze-Breeze with neon green stripes?
6. Snack: You will get hungry and realize that all of the food to be had costs ridiculous amounts of money. All you have to do is reach into your granola bar holster (when I get hungry I want my food fast) and eat your freaking delicious Odwalla bar. Problem solved.

For your campsite:

1. Shade Structure: So important for the mornings before you gather enough energy to walk to the music. When you wake up sweating in your tent with your sleeping bag stuck to your body, all you have to do is roll out the door into the shade. If you don’t have a shade structure, make friends with someone who does. Also, do not buy the $40 one from Wal-Mart. It does not work and you do not want to try to put it up when you are too warm to think. (If I sound bitter, it’s because I am. I will get you back Wal-Mart!)
2. Head Lamp: Keep it in an obvious place, use when it is too dark for you to see your feet or the puddle of mud that seems to have appeared inside your tent.
3. Chairs: There’s nothing like a nice place to rest your sweaty self in the mornings before you spend your day standing/huddled in a tiny spot on the ground (on your sarong, mind you).
4. Appropriate Shoes: Rain boots. While it may be hot, it will probably rain. And then you will thank me because you will be wading through the mud like a pro. Also, sandals. Now this is difficult. You don’t want flip flops because you will end up splattered from scalp to the ends of your burned toes with mud when you finally pull them out of the sink hole you will inevitably step into. You do, however want something you can wash off. Gladiator Havaianas are the best solution I’ve found.
5. Car Chargers: You forgot to charge your phone/lantern/camera/ipod? Bring chargers for all of these items and you will not have to spend the weekend leaving graffiti messages for your friends stating your whereabouts in the hopes that they will find you.
6. Mini Speakers: I know, you are saturated with music. But you know what? You wake up in the morning and all you want is more more more. And so does everyone else. BAM. Solution.
7. Duct tape: Good for taping your shoes/tent/bumper together. Also good for making shorts. (What? Beware…it will remove the top layer of your skin.)

Asheville 2

7 comments:

vintage birdy ♥ said...

ooh love old vehicles. and i like the outfit too! simple and sweet :D

Love,
vintage-birdy.blogspot.com
{no, it's not about birds}

Starr Crow said...

you look so adorable! i can't believe you didn't say hi; i would've been thrilled to meet you. i understand with the vending though. my friend worked at thai express and could rarely leave. your list is great, the only other thing i could think of is an umbrella. i only carried one on Friday, but it was amazing. the difference it makes with the heat and the sunburns is insane! i'm working on a giant post right now. should have it up soon!!

Unknown said...

I LOVE Edward Sharpe! So jealous! I just purchased my ticket to see them when they come to Michigan in August! When will you in Michigan? You'll be around Michigan State University? If so, hit me up--I live down the road from campus! Tons of fun restaurants and things to do. Email me if you want more specifics, I'd love to share with you!!

Unknown said...

P.S. you're absolutely adorable!

Kennedy said...

these pictures are wonderful! very bonnaroo and still chic <3

Leproust Vintage said...

Your music festival adventures sound amazing! I wish we would have made it to bonaroo this year (only 30-40 minutes away from me)! Maybe next year! :)

I loved your funny story about magnolia trees! haha! It cracked me up! Aren't some of the things that we do as children hilarious?!

Candycane said...

Great dress .. and great tips!

Sal xXx

Post a Comment

Thanks for your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails