Thursday, February 3, 2011

Tess

Tess of the D'Urbervilles

"As Tess's own people down in those retreats are never tired of saying among each other in their fatalistic way: 'It was to be.' There lay the pity of it. An immeasurable chasm was to divide our heroine's personality thereafter from that previous self of hers who stepped from her mother's door to try her fortune at Trantridge poultry-farm."

Tess of the D'Urbervilles

Here are my photos for our Pickwick Ladies Book Club January choice, Tess of the D'Urbervilles. If any of you have Tess inspired photos please post them on our facebook page and I'll add them to an album.

Tess of the D'Urbervilles

Tess of the D'Urbervilles is a tragedy unlike any that authors these days seem to dream up. The story follows Tess as she is plagued by wicked Alec D'Urberville, who eventually is the cause of the breakup of her marriage. It is very fitting for cold winter reading, that's for sure!

Tess of the D'Urbervilles

Tess of the D'Urbervilles

I thought this vintage trench would be perfect for Tess inspired wanderings. It is lined with the most beautiful wool, which is also the same as the scarf on the hood. I think the scarf/hood arrangement is so unusual, I have never seen another coat like it. It is one of my last vintage finds from Brooklyn; I bought it a few days before I moved.

Boots, Shorts, Silk Blouse, Coat: Thrifted
Tights: Marks and Spencer

Tess of the D'Urbervilles

Other than reading Tess, I have been learning how to Telemark ski! It's so much fun and requires much more thought than regular Alpine skiing. After practicing so much I'm pretty sure I'm going to have thighs of steel - for those of you who have never seen anyone tele-ing, it's basically lunging all the way down the hill. I'm looking forward to practicing some more and then buying a beacon and some other avalanche gear so I can go skiing in the backcountry.

Tess of the D'Urbervilles

Not much other news here - just skiing all the time! I hope some of you read Tess too so that I can see your pictures. Let me know if you need help posting them on Facebook!

15 comments:

Rachel said...

I love how dramatic your coat is; I've never read that book before, but it certainly seems to fit. :D

amanda said...

oh so pretty!!!!!! i have my february book on order so it should come in the next couple days! can't wait to read it.

Unknown said...

Oh that third photo is just screaming for it to be your header don't you think? :) I IMMEDIATELY thought Red Riding Hood when I saw these photos! I am enjoying these book-inspired outfits!

DANIELLE // DKD DESIGNS said...

I've never read the book but these pictures and the outift is lovely!
xoxo

Kelly said...

That jacket is absolutely stunning. I especially love the last pic.

I think it's so cool that you are learning all these new ski techniques. There's nothing better than enjoying being active!

islabell said...

I love that red coast...and the scenery is just perfect.

Unknown said...

Wow, I love this red coat! You look like amodern version of the Little Red Riding Hood, only more stylish! :)

I don't know if you care about blog awards, but if you do: I tagged you for the versatile blogger award. Click here for the details. :)

Erika said...

Fantastic photos! That coat is wonderful.

Victoria said...

Lovely photos, they remind me a bit of Little Red Riding Hood :)xxx

Georgia Rose said...

Amazing coat! I envy your frolicking in the woods in the snow.

Andrea said...

Love this shooting! Looks like fairytale! :)

E said...

I need this hooded coat in my life. End of story.

Jenny said...

Love love. These photos are so precious. And that red coat is beautiful! Very dreamy. xoxo

Anonymous said...

Beautiful as always...
I just love that coat!!

The Decemberist said...

Lovely photos! I've read that book back in high school but the photos actually make me think of Red Riding Hood, the movie. It must be the coat and the backdrop. :)

   ♥ Teresa ♥
- Pretty Dandy -

Post a Comment

Thanks for your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails